Saturday, July 28, 2007

One Woman’s Journey From Obesity: From Stout to Svelte

It's hard enough to carry around a few extra pounds. Most of us are all too familiar with that lethargic, sluggish feeling that literally weighs down our energy -- and our self-esteem. But when a formerly thin woman tops the scale at 230 pounds, the effects can be devastating. Living "large" brings with it a host of physical and emotional consequences.

While it may be cosmetically unendurable, obesity also puts you at greater risk for a myriad of life-threatening health problems including heart disease, some cancers, diabetes and arthritis. While at any given moment, 40% of women are dieting; most are unsuccessful in the long run.

The story began on June 27, 1999 when Phyllis had her annual physical exam.

"Here I was, 5'6" tall and weighed in at 234 pounds. My cholesterol was amazingly healthy, but my blood sugar was indicative that I'd soon be diabetic."

Though concerned about her health, it was vanity that really sparked her commitment to lose weight, once and for all.

"I saw a photograph of myself taken at my in-laws 50th anniversary party. I tried to hide my weight by putting my four-year-old on my lap, but there I was, big as a house."

Phyllis had attempted weight loss in the past, but unsuccessfully.

"I had lost 29 pounds years ago on Weight Watchers. I knew I could lose it, but the biggest problem for me was keeping it off. I read statistics that 98% of people who lose weight gain it back within five years."

And she had heard correctly. Most of the so-called weight loss diets available today may work -- initially. However, most weight lost is due to the elimination of body water, not fat. And restrictive eating not only lacks essential nutrients, but also can lower metabolic rate so that weight-loss efforts become futile.

Recently the National Weight Control Registry examined the lifestyle habits of thousands of successful dieters, that is, those who lost an average of 30 pounds and kept the weight off for at least five years. Researchers looked for a common thread -- what did these people all have in common that made them so successful? The scientists confirmed what we all know to be true: healthy, sensible low-fat, low-calorie eating and daily exercise is the only way to lose weight permanently. There are not short cuts.

Phyllis's inactive lifestyle, coupled with poor eating habits, had caused a progressive increase in weight since she and her husband, Corey, and her two young children moved from suburban New York to rural Vermont.

"I was depressed at times; I had 'food hangovers' after snacks (my big nemesis was crackers and bread) and my sex drive was diminished. My exercise habits were nil at this time, and my work was done by phone at home."

Coupled with Vermont's long, cold winters, Phyllis's sedentary lifestyle was the perfect recipe for obesity.

At first she was prescribed Wellbutrin, an appetite suppressant. The drug helped to jumpstart Phyllis's program. She purchased a few exercise tapes geared for beginners.

"I exercised 45 minutes in my kids' playroom before they awoke, six days per week. I still maintain that schedule."

Though exercise is absolutely essential to any successful weight loss program, the greatest determinant of body weight is what you put in your mouth. And finding just the right balance of healthy foods that fit your lifestyle, food preferences and body's caloric needs is crucial to permanent weight control.

Temporary diets do not teach life-long healthy eating habits. Without a lifetime plan, you may never get off the gain-lose-gain roller coaster.

One of these popular diets that promise quick weight loss is the Atkins plan. At first, Phyllis decided to give it a try, unaware of the potential long-term consequences.

"I recall pushing my shopping cart through the market and filling it with bacon, red meat, cheese -- stuff I didn't like! It was nauseating for me. I then realized two things: I really like to eat large portions of food and I like grains and vegetables.

"I discovered Dean Ornish's book, Eat More, Weight Less, which focuses on very low-fat vegetarian fare -- and it all just clicked. I gathered up recipes, experimented and that's how I lost 55 pounds in nine months. If I needed an indulgence, I'd buy a chunk of Belgian chocolate instead of M&Ms (you need a hacksaw to break off a piece; you can't help but eat it slowly!). Instead of chips, I'd snack on oyster crackers and carrot sticks. It wasn't a diet, it was just different kinds of food -- and heaps of them!"

Probably the most important factor in helping Phyllis stick with her program was the support of Corey.

"He also started a vigorous healthy eating and exercise regimen -- though for different reasons. This contributed greatly to my success. It's crucial to have someone to share this uphill battle with."

Though Corey's exercise program was quite different, they worked out at the same time and shared the same nutritious meals.

One year later, Phyllis has kept off the weight, though she seems to have reached a temporary "plateau" in her weight-loss efforts.

"I exercise the same, but have introduced low fat cheese and turkey into my menu. I indulge once in a while. I could lose another 25 pounds, but I'm involved in a new business that has kept my focus elsewhere."

The best course for Phyllis would be to revise her current exercise program and perhaps, re-evaluate her eating plan. The introduction of a moderate strength-training program will boost metabolic rate so that she'll burn more calories all the time, even during sleep. More frequent, yet shorter bouts of activity may be warranted that will better fit into Phyllis schedule and keep metabolism high.

The Ornish plan is excellent in that it emphasizes whole grains, vegetables, legumes and fruits, the mainstay of a heart-healthy diet. The Ornish eating plan has a few shortcomings, though, but can be modified to fit into your lifestyle. Since less than 10% of calories come from fat, for most people the plan is difficult to follow. In fact, recent research demonstrates that a higher-fat diet (but from unsaturated sources) may be more conducive to heart health, as long as calorie intake remains within appropriate ranges.

Furthermore, since the Ornish plan does not include animal products of any kind, the diet lacks several important nutrients, like vitamin B-12, zinc, iron and calcium. However, if you make an effort to consume a variety of foods and take a multi vitamin-mineral formula, the Ornish plan will not only help you lose weight, but teach you how to eat healthy for a lifetime.

The road from obesity to a healthy body weight is indeed a difficult one. And though Phyllis will continue on this path throughout life, she is not the same woman who walked into that doctor's office one year ago.

"It's a lifelong struggle for me," says Phyllis. "I love to eat! Watching how thin people eat has taught me many lessons. I was thin as a young adult and have been fat, too. People treat you differently. You also treat yourself differently. I knew that gaining 20 pounds could easily segue into 40 pounds, and poof! Suddenly you're obese. I just had to put a stop to it. Eating is one of my life's greatest pleasures, and since it's heard for me to eat less, I decided to eat smarter. And I swear I feel taller after I exercise!"

No comments: