Friday, September 28, 2007

Baby Steps to a Healthier Lifestyle

Ten years ago, I couldn't even imagine that today I would be an aerobics instructor or a runner. Up until 1992, I had never been an athlete of any kind. In fact, my one-month stint as a track runner in high school was as close as I had ever gotten to be an athletic person. All it took was one official race for me to say, 'I quit!'

I started smoking when I was only 12 and continued to do so until the age of 22. Also, by the time I was 18, I was a regular "binge drinker" and well on my way to leading a very dangerous and unhealthy lifestyle.

So how is it a person with so many unhealthy habits could now be leading a life promoting good health and fitness? How does one get "off the couch" and on the fitness wagon?

For me and hundreds of others, the answer is "baby steps." Setting a goal to eliminate one bad habit or start one good habit at a time can increase one's success rate and help create a sense of achievement on a regular basis. Although one's intentions are good when making life changes, trying to change everything at the same time is often just too overwhelming or difficult to achieve.

The first baby step for me was a conscious choice to take control of my drinking. I got married, landed a good job and decided that the picture I had of me did not include late- night parties and binge drinking. Being responsible and having a successful career became a priority.

The second baby step was quitting smoking. Being pregnant helped me with this process because I was concerned about my baby's health, and smoking made me feel nauseous.

I took the third baby step when my second child was about six months old. Overweight and heading into a size 16, I was unhappy with myself and suffering from a low self-image. I knew I needed to do something but wasn't quite sure what. I had been hearing a lot about aerobics at that time so I decided to try joining a health club I could afford and since money was tight, this was no easy task. However, I was able to find an affordable program and was anxious to start.

I will never forget my first day in aerobics class. I had the reddest face of anybody there and literally felt like a "fish out of water." The moves were unfamiliar to me and I thought I was going to pass out from exhaustion. I kept looking at the door and came very close to leaving. Looking at myself in the mirror however made me even more determined. I thought to myself, "If they can do it, I could do it!"

After finishing the class, I felt an incredible sense of accomplishment knowing I had actually stuck to it and completed the class. I became friends with the instructor and she helped me set some realistic weight-loss goals.

After getting into a regular exercise routine, the next baby step was paying closer attention to my eating habits. I had been working with clientele who were following 1,500-calorie diets coordinated by registered dieticians and included eating appropriate portions from the food pyramid. Keeping this in mind, I began a food journal and kept daily records of my food and caloric intake. It was amazing to me how much food and calories I had become accustomed to eating.

The last step was actually becoming an aerobics instructor. I was motivated to do this for several reasons. First of all, getting paid to do something I had grown to love was appealing to me. Second, by scheduling classes that I myself needed to teach, I did not have the option of saying, "I don't feel like going today." Third, I wanted to be able to help others who like me, needed to make changes in their lifestyles to become healthier and more physically fit.

Through this process of baby steps, I was able to lose 25 pounds and I now wear a size 8. I have maintained this size and weight for several years with the exception of having one more child two years ago. It took a little bit more time for me to get back into shape after the birth of my third child, but I'm back into my old jeans and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

In addition, I started running this past year and ran in my very first 5K just last week. I did not win the race, but I did not come in last either. Running 3.1 miles in 26 minutes still seems unreal to me but crossing that finish line gave me another great surge and sense of accomplishment.

The baby steps I started many years ago have literally taught me to run in ways I never thought possible.

No comments: