Sunday, January 13, 2008

Q & A: I have only 10 pounds I want to lose

Q. I have only 10 pounds that I know I want to lose but I just can't seem to get started. Any ideas for getting motivated quickly?

A. Make a list of the benefits versus the costs of losing these 10 pounds. Look at your lists very carefully. Do the benefits really outweigh the costs? If so, keep the list of benefits handy so that you can refer to it for ongoing motivation. Then determine a realistic plan and set up weekly menu goals. When you accomplish these goals, reward yourself in non-food ways: Try a pedicure, massage, or even a day at the spa.


Q. I only want to lose 10 pounds. What's the best way to do it?

A. Create a plan that fits your lifestyle and doesn’t demand dramatic changes in the types of food that you enjoy. Consider modifying slightly your current eating for a gradual lifestyle change and weight loss – about 1 to 1.5 pounds weekly. Though the changes occur slowly, notice over the weeks how clothes begin to feel looser. At the same time, add more natural movement to your day.

No comments: