Sunday, July 13, 2008

Creatine Monohydrate: It will move you!

Numerous athletes claim it's the best (health-risk free) alternative to steroids. Sport science researchers say it provides the ability to generate and maintain high muscle power production. I used it and increased my muscle strength by 23% and my muscle endurance by 31%. It's a supplement called creatine monohydrate and it will move you to the next level of your potential. Here's how it works.

Muscle Overview

During a high-intensity exercise like the martial arts, the primary energy source is carbohydrate. When a supramaximal effort is performed, such as a full power roundhouse kick, a chemical process occurs in the powerful leg muscles. Stores of an energy source known as adenosine triphosphate (ATP) are broken down to release the energy needed to perform the physical movement. A critical component of this ATP is a substance known as phosphocreatine.

When that high intensity kick is delivered, the phosphocreatine stores are somewhat depleted as the intramuscular process occurs. The human body is designed in such a way that the stores are resynthesized, or rebuilt, in order to perform subsequent physical activity.

The time it takes for these stores to replenish themselves can vary from perhaps 40 seconds up to three minutes depending on the extent and duration of the activity as well as the amount of creatine available. If the stores are "full" and well-trained, this resynthesis process occurs more rapidly than in untrained athletes.

Creatine Supplementation

In order to both increase the ATP stores and expedite the resynthesis process, sport researchers have clinically demonstrated that using creatine monohydrate delays muscle fatigue and enhances resynthesis. Several researchers have determined that ingesting creatine monohydrate increases the total creatine content in muscles by an average of 20 - 30%. This means that athletes with this increased capacity can last longer and recover faster than those without this aid.

Here's How It Worked For Me

I reviewed the research on using this supplement and determined the consensus was to ingest 20 - 25 grams for 5 -6 days (known as the "load" phase) followed by an average daily dosage of 2.5 grams (known as the"maintenance" phase).

Before I began the load phase, I performed a baseline assessment of six strength exercises (using weights) and two endurance exercises (push-ups and pull-ups). It's important to note I had begun my strength training program about 2 months before the assessment so there was a definite foundation for this experiment.

My Subjective Assessment

On the very first day I began creatine loading, I sensed an increased ability to perform during my muscle endurance exercises of push-ups and pull-ups. But, to keep my scheduled reassessment pure, I didn't try to "max out". I kept performing designated sets with prescribed recovery times. It's difficult to describe, but I simply didn't feel the same sense of despair on the pull-up bar. If you're like me, after you knock out the first five or so repetitions, you have to fight to get the rest. And, it can feel like the rep's will end at any second due to muscle fatigue.

Using creatine, I felt stronger and more confident. I sensed I was in control of the exercise. I felt the same thing when using weights for the strength training.

My Objective Assessment

After a two week period, one for loading and one for maintenance, I performed the same strength and endurance assessment I did prior to use of creatine monohydrate. The results? Phenomenal.

My strength with weights increased a mean of 23% among four multi-joint exercises (e.g., upright row). My endurance in the push-up and pull-up category increased a mean of 31%. For a reason I don't understand, I didn't see an increase in the single-joint exercises (e.g., biceps curl). But that's okay. I'll take the gains I received with gratitude.

Physical Dimensions Also Changed

I was already convinced about using creatine monohydrate after leaving the gym with those increased results. But there's more. I also experienced positive changes in my physique due to the two week usage of this valuable supplement.

Although I gained three pounds (presumably from the increased metabolic activity), I lost an inch from my waist. And, I gained in the right places! The diameter of my biceps increased 1/4" of an inch, my quadriceps increased 1" inch, and my chest a full 1"! I feel and look stronger!

Now don't get me wrong. I raced bicycles for a decade and have a high proportion of Type I muscle fibers (the type that don't lead to the VanDamme physique). So I'm not saying that creatine can enable you to overcome your general genetic disposition. But it can certainly improve it. I'm living proof.

So How About You?

My experience, along with the clinical research performed to date, strongly suggests that you should consider this supplement. Improved muscle strength and endurance is important for any martial artist whether the activity is karate, judo, or Ju-Jitsu. If maximal muscle intensity is involved, this supplement can help.

I must emphasize that you can't simply ingest this supplement without a base of strength training or without performing strength training concurrent with the supplement's loading and maintenance phase. Remember, I had begun my weight training two months prior to the experiment and have performed strength training (in varying degrees) for several years.

A Program Prescription

Based on my research, I have concluded that the essential strength training exercises for martial artists include lat pull-downs, bent-over rows, one-arm dumbell curls, shoulder shrugs, and the upright row for the upper body. For the lower body I recommend squats, lunges, hamstring curls and quadriceps extensions.

Although it would take another article to describe all the factors associated with a whole strength training protocol, a sound program will feature performing the exercises outlined above in a "periodized" manner. In laymen's terms, to "periodize" means you won't lift the same amount of weight for the same amount of rep's on an ongoing basis. You might have a general schedule that looks like this:

Transition Phase (4 to 6 weeks): 2 sets of 25 reps each, with 30 seconds rest between sets

Hypertrophy Phase (4 to 6 weeks): 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps each, with 60 seconds rest between sets

Strength Phase (4 to 6 weeks): 5 sets of 6 reps each, with 120 seconds rest between sets

Power Phase (4 to 6 weeks): 3 sets of 15 reps each, with 120 seconds rest between sets

Rest Phase (4 to 6 weeks): little to no weight training during this phase.

When you get to the strength phase of your training, which means you have a solid foundation of perhaps 15 weeks of training, try the creatine monohydrate supplement. I found that the recommendations for the dose varied among several researchers but decided on and used 25 grams per day for a 6 day load and am continuing to ingest 2.5 grams on a daily basis.

Remember to establish a baseline assessment of your performance before trying creatine, or any other training method or supplement for that matter. Martial athletes should always be able to objectively quantify whether certain training methods work for us as individuals. By simply writing down how much you can lift with certain exercises or how many push-ups you can perform in a two minute period, you create a "baseline" that enables to know what recommendations work for you and which don't.

No comments: