Friday, January 25, 2008

Moms Get Motivated to Work Out

For years, it’s been my favorite line -- Yeah, I work out, my washer and dryer are in the basement and all our bedrooms are on the top floor. After all, I’m busy with two preschoolers.

Before my first pregnancy, I did exercise a little. I took an aerobics class after work two evenings a week, and my husband and I enjoyed bike riding on some weekends, although we weren't all that committed to regular exercise. But pregnancy, for me, was all the excuse I needed to give up the aerobics class - I didn't want to take any chances in a class not geared for pregnant women, and I didn't have any energy to spare anyway. (I didn't bother to find out then the many benefits there are to workouts during pregnancy or to learn which exercises would be perfectly safe.) Suddenly, I realized five years had passed since I had done any serious working out.

One evening I stood at the kitchen sink, finishing up washing dishes and planning my reward: ahhh, cappuccino chocolate chip ice cream awaited me in the freezer and would be so satisfying to eat in a clean kitchen. It was one of those perfect evenings -- no wind, gorgeous sunset, cool air after a hot Colorado summer day. I was actually tempted to go outside to walk instead. Walk instead of ice cream? Me? So I gave in to the temptation and left my husband in charge of finishing the bedtime routine for our two kids. I put on my old Nikes and hit the sidewalk. It was glorious. The view of the sky, the fresh air - I even found the energy to do a little running. Even more encouraging, after just a few weeks of working out about every-other evening, I could run most of my two-mile route.

That beautiful evening's walk was the beginning of a new routine. I don't go out every day, that's not really possible, but I've found that if I plan and remain flexible, I can get out about four times a week. I'm convinced that no matter what the health benefits are, the way I feel after a workout will keep me committed to doing it, even when the weather changes and offers me new excuses.

It is tough for moms of young kids to exercise. Kathryn Schmitz, a researcher at the University of Minnesota found that after the birth of their first child, up to 20 percent of women reduce the time they spend working out. While it seems obvious that having children would cut into time previously devoted to exercise, it seems equally obvious that moms need the benefits of exercise.

Losing the extra weight gained during pregnancy is just one reason to get busy exercising again. For those lucky enough to not be overweight, many, many more good reasons may help spur you on and ignore those old excuses. You probably already know about many of the benefits of exercise, but how about the benefits that could change your health and your life.

Stronger bones. You will not likely notice the bone strength benefits of exercise until you get older and are confronted with bone loss since bones tend to shrink with age. Regular weight-bearing exercise (like walking, jogging or lifting weights), along with consuming enough calcium helps maintain the bone mass. Take heart - you'll be able to see and enjoy your stronger muscles a lot quicker!

Mental health. If you are a mom of preschool-aged kids, you're in one of the highest risk groups for developing mild to moderate depression. All women are at higher risk for depression, ranging from a temporary case of the blues to serious clinical depression.

According to the Surgeon General¹s Report of 1996, Physical Activity and Health, "In general, persons who are inactive are twice as likely to have symptoms of depression than more active persons". It cites six research studies that associate exercise with reduced symptoms of depression, anxiety and improved well being. Workouts alone will not magically cure serious depression; but whatever the degree of depression, workouts can be a powerful tool in helping you feel better.

Time away. Moms, you love those cute little munchkins, but enough is enough, right? Good moms need a break. You can actually be a better mom if you get some time to yourself. Use the kids' daddy time, swap with a neighbor, hire a teen you trust to baby-sit or check to se if your health club has a supervised children's play area. Use your alone time to exercise. It may not be your first activity choice when you have so many other things to do, but once you get started, you just might that exercise helps you clear the clutter out of your mind and makes getting other things done more easy.

Energy. For years, I didn't exercise because I was already tired. I didn't have any energy to spare. I've heard that exercise gives you energy, but the thought of it just made me more tired. Surprisingly, I found that my most energetic days are the days after I've worked out. Yes, I'm tired right after I finish, but after going a few days without a workout, I begin to drag and feel exhausted. Honestly, I can easily cut out many other energy zappers; exercise actually helps me rather than zapping me.

Lack of sleep, too much television and poor diet are my real energy drainers. Working out also helps to promote better sleep and encourages me to drink more water. Give yourself the gift of three workouts this week and prove and see for yourself.

A model for your kids. You know they watch and mimic you. They use your phrases, they carry a bag because you carry one, and they hate cauliflower since you hate it. They will probably approach exercise the same way you approach it. If you show them that working out is a normal and fun part of life, they'll be more likely to make it a lifelong habit themselves.

"The number one person kids look up to is the parent. Making physical activity a family affair teaches children to value a healthy lifestyle," says exercise physiologist Shannon Sukovaty as quoted in August 2000's Colorado Parent magazine. Start exercising now while they are young, and they will most likely follow a healthy lifestyle when they get older. My four-year-old son loves to ask me about my running time and he cannot wait to get big enough to join me. I'm looking forward to that, too.

No comments: