Sunday, January 13, 2008

Q & A: How come I have lost weight for the last 5 weeks and now I’ve stopped?

Q. How come I have lost weight for the last 5 weeks and now I’ve stopped? I haven’t changed what I’m doing.

A. You’ve hit a plateau. A plateau is the normal way your body responds to weight loss. It’s like taking a vacation to help us deal more effectively with a hectic, stressful schedule. After a vacation of rest and relaxation, we feel ready to take on additional work or tasks. Our bodies also need time to rest and stabilize, especially during periods of change.

Stay focused on doing what you have been doing. Take the time to review your eating and exercise: Are you still careful about your portions? Do you continue to eat every three to five hours? Are you still exercising regularly?

You might also try varying your diet or exercise program. Sometimes this kind of change will jump-start you again after hitting a plateau.

No comments: